We are going on almost a month of stay-at-home orders. Our mental, physical and emotional health are being challenged on a daily. Whether we are single and alone, married with a house full of kids, single parents needing a break or someone in a tough situation, we are looking for ways to maintain balance in our lives. Here are some of the things that have helped me during this time:
1. WINE. Look, I'm being honest with you. I am a single mom with a 6 and almost 2 year old. My day is consumed with playing mommy monster, being a non-certificated teacher, telling the girls to stop eating all of our snacks, amazon shopping, playing dolls, watching every frickin' Disney movie, cooking pasta & frozen pizzas, etc. etc. etc. Wine is good. Wine is my friend. Chill, I'm not an alcoholic. I have one or two classes with a Hershey's pie once the girls go to sleep. This is my time to relax, refresh and laugh at myself.
2. A GOOD BOOK. Knowledge is power. I love to learn something new about myself and the life that I'm living. I've read more than I have in months. Think about this, wine and reading go good together.
3. FACETIME. I talk to my mom everyday. It helps because if I don't need to be out, I'd rather stay home. For me, it's a difficult thing because I like to stay busy but we have a new normal. So, I utilize this tool when I just need someone to talk to.
4. BOARDGAMES. I love boardgames. I've played the same ones over and over BUT it helps to pass the time and Harper loves it. She demolishes me in Sorry and Monopoly Jr on a daily.
5. MY BIBLE. Say what? Yes, yes I do believe in God and I believe in just reading his word especially on my tough days. God places faith, hope and love in my mind and besides my daughters, that is all I need to get me through these days.
6. SOCIAL MEDIA. In any other situation, too much social media will burn you out. However, this is how I connect and share. Also, when I'm up at 2 a.m., I can't help but watch a good cat video or (holding my head down) Tik Tok videos. As long as you're finding a balance and knowing when to sign out, you can make an exception for a little extra connection.
7. AMAZON. Dear Amazon, I love you. Y'all my girls and I need snacks, we're snackers and Amazon has snacks. I buy in bulk. The prices and delivery make it convenient. It also makes it easy to buy random stuff I don't need.
8. TABLETS. Yep, I'm that mom. Is your homework done? Yes. Is your room clean & bed made? Yes. Did you clean the funk off of ya? Yes. Well... here you go!
9. NETFLIX. I've literally watched "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" and "The Kissing Booth," every other day for the past month.
10. YOU. No, not Joe. You. I love sharing my experiences. To be able to express my thoughts and send my love, there's no better pick me up.